Posts Tagged christmas 2014
This year we stayed in Texas and had a happy, quite little Christmas in our new home.
Somehow we got up earlier than usual despite our best efforts to sleep in. First things first, Cors (helped by Joel) opened his present. He was so delighted with the rawhide he found inside the crinkly paper that he camped out and tried to help Joel open his presents. I think he was pretty disappointed that Joel didn’t get any bones!
I think for most of us, the point of buying Christmas gifts is to bring cheer, happiness, etc. to our friends and family. Unfortunately, our efforts can so easily turn into a frantic panic. Or at least I know mine can.
This year I started thinking through who I buy for and what might be enjoyable for them. In the end I decided to go with a few rules.
For family members I decided to do three gifts for each: Something to Wear, Something to Read, and Something just for Fun. Giving myself these perimeters was actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed picking just the right thing for each person, finished my shopping in record time, and kept to my budget. Most of all though, I’m excited about each thing I choose instead of buying just to have something to give.
Do you have any tips or tricks for keeping your Christmas preparations peacefully?
O, Christmas Tree
On Saturday, we had our annual Christmas adventure of tying a tree to our little Fiat and then driving it though downtown to get it home. It’s always a bit nerve-wracking on the way back. It did arrive safely and is filling our living room with its lovely scent.
Gift Guide No. 5
We end our week of gift guides with books. A stack of new books is my favorite gift to give!
1) The Pursuit of Love for the Austen and Brontë fans.
2) The Wavewatchers’ Companion for the person who is interested in everything.
3) The Spy Who Came in from the Cold for the mystery lover.
4) Life Together for the philosophical.
5) Pride & Prejudice for the friend who needs an introduction to Jane Austen.
Need more book ideas? Check out my picks from 2013 and 2012.
Gift Guide No. 4
Ideas for giving the gift of coziness:
One // Two // Three // Four // Five // Six
Gift Guide No. 3
Today’s guide is a perfect selection for any Hostesses or Homebodies you need to buy for this Christmas.
1) The Coziest Blanket for cold winter days.
2) A fragrant and adorable rosemary bush.
3) The perfect candle.
4) A wonderful page-turn. Looks good on the coffee table, too!
5) And a dainty dish for holding snacks or trinkets.